The International Day of Friendship is a United Nations (UN) day that encourages the role of friendship in promoting peace in many cultures. Each year, Friendship day is marked on July 30.
It is celebrated by peeps to show care for friends around the world. In this write-up, i have listed some of the really interesting and amazing facts related to friendship’s day.
We will cover the followings in this articles-
A brief about the concept of Friendship.
How people, in various countries celebrate this day.
Some Less known friendship day facts.
This very concept of friendship has been a segment of our discussion for thousands of years. We can say that Friendship is a comprehensive relationship. Friendship is a bond, a relationship between friends, mixture of understanding, communication, support, trust, loyalty, empathy, and intimacy. And Of course, to make your friends feel loved, cared about, and to adore them, you don’t require a festive day. But this particular day, the Friendship Day gives you the chance to give your friends special attention. For you, I have created a list of friendship quotes that you can visit after reading the friendship facts given below.
Since the existence of earth, Friendship is the only relationship that has outlast on this planet. This fellowship is not merely a relationship rather a distinctive combination of trust and affection. A bonding that is always there for us when we are in trouble.
Lord Krishna, in the most popular Hindu epic ‘Mahabharata’, manifests many colors of friendship. The manifestation includes affection, brotherhood, protection, guidance, intimacy, romance and even teasing. Even The Bible, western civilization’s prime scripture, speculates friendship as a bond that shapes the foundation to human companionship, faith and trust.
In several countries, the Friendship Day happens on the first Sunday of August, and numerous Friendship Day celebrations take place on other dates. A well liked tradition include giving pink and yellow roses to your friends who’ve always been there for you!
Friendship Day Facts
1. Originally, Friendship Day was promoted by the founder of Hallmark cards, Joyce Hall in 1919. He intended on first Sunday of august to be a day where people celebrated their friendship.
2. On 20 July 1958, during a dinner with friends in Puerto Pinasco, a town on the River Paraguay about 200 miles north of Asuncion, Paraguay, Dr. Artemio Bracho propounded the idea of a World Friendship Day.
3. July 30th was declared as official International Friendship Day by the General Assembly of the United Nation on April 27, 2011.
4. This occasion has since been celebrated in various southern South American countries, particularly in Paraguay, where the July 30th was first suggested as World Friendship Day in 1958.
5. As a part of custom, the Day takes place on the first Sunday of August. However, in some countries, there is no specific date for the celebration of friendship day.
6. Originally generated by the greeting cards industry, indications from social networking sites shows that with the spread of the Internet, a revival of interest in the holiday that may have grown in Asian countries, particularly in India, Malaysia and Bangladesh.
7. As a part of festivity, the exchange of Friendship Day Gifts like cards, wrist bands, flowers is popular among friends.
8. Do you know that in 1935, the US Congress declared the foremost Sunday of August as the National Friendship Day in glory of friends and stated it to be a holiday.
9. Women’s Friendship Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of September. ( I din’t know that? )
10. To protect and honor the rights of animals, Best Friends Animal Society established an occasion know as the Best Friends Weekend. The occasion is observed every year from June 23 – June 25. The first day of the weekend is known as Best Friends’ Day.
11. In Spain, it is called ‘D del Amigo’ which is celebrated annually on July 20, mainly in Uruguay and Argentina.
12. The whole of February is classified as the International Friendship Month.
13. Winnie – the Pooh, the popular cartoon character, was named as the world’s Ambassador of Friendship by The United Nations in 1997.
14. In 1967. Beatles released the famous song that deals with the theme of friendship. The name of the song was “With a Little Help from My Friends”
Infographic about friendship day facts.
I am pretty sure you didn’t know all already. Did I miss any? You can share yours in the comments below. I will add them with your name attached. See you in the next post!